Thursday 22 May 2014

Travelling Alone

with Bob & a French dude at a Reggae party, Manila

Be Brave 
well I suppose the distinction between being brave and crazy reckless is just a fine line. People ALWAYS have tons of excuses but then they will say something like these, "awww, I really envy how you can be so carefree" , "I wish I can....", "if only....." and so on and so forth. Truth be told, it's actually YOU that is stopping YOU! ok, my story behind is not that noble =P thanks to AirAsia promo which prompt me to just click away and boom! I'll be going to Manila alone for 2 weeks.

Language, bridge to people's heart
Going to a foreign land with the locals speaking foreign language and you not understanding a single sound will frighten you. That is why, take it as a chance to pick up a new language. (do put some effort pls, anyone can say thank you and please) More often than not, ppl will just smile and open up, to you this strange tourist coming to their land who understands nothing about the harsh reality of life.

So the best part/ downside of travelling alone is that eventually you have to talk to people, otherwise you will have bad breath. ok irrelevant I get it. Being an Asian/Chinese I understand why most of us get anxious around Westerners, "oh no how can I talk to that blue eyed guy with his impeccable English and my broken Manglish". Language aside, they are just normal human, some funny some stupid, don't be fooled by how they look, and they are definitely not superior than us! ok maybe some like Bill Gates & Mr President Obama & maybe Jude Law & ... ...

But truly, English is not just a language to me, it's a ticket, a door, it opens up a whole new world, I wouldn't be who/where I am now if it weren't for English and Japanese & maybe Mandarin contributed too =P you know, language generally.

Freedom
of course alone means alot of freeeeeeeedom. Everyday I will meet a new person and will be doing something completely spontaneous. Went to Gay parade with a Chinese dude who then later confessed to me. Play badminton with a Brit on a rooftop. Impromptu basketball match consisting of a Brit, a Jap, Pinoy, short Asian (me...) American and a couple from Israel. Reggae party with fellow backpackers whom I just met. Short exploration around the city with a Swedish girl whom I just met on the day before. movie/beer night with the Americans, play a group ping pong etc.

Of course it's very uncomfortable at first, but the fun in return is just priceless!
SO? GET OUT THERE PEPS!

Till then, adiĆ³s.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks greatly for your sharing! Your article is really detailed and interesting.
    If you wish to experience Sapa, Vietnam, you can refer to local markets in sapa from GoAsiaDayTrip to have more experience <3

    ReplyDelete